Call Us Today: 1-800-923-3456

Temporary Visas

Overview of Temporary Visas

A Visa      D Visa      G Visa      J Visa      M Visa      P Visa      S Visa      TWOV Visa
B Visa       E Visa      H Visa      K Visa      N Visa      Q Visa      T Visa      V Visa
C Visa      F Visa      I Visa      L Visa      O Visa      R Visa      TN Visa

Extenstion of Stay in the United States
Change in Non-Immigrant Status
Consular Processing

Visa Type Description


A Visa

A-1: Ambassadors, public ministers, or career diplomats/officers

A-2: Other accredited officials and employees of foreign governments

A-3: Attendants, servants, personal employees

B Visa

B-1: The Business Visitor visa is used for persons starting business activity in the United States. The visa is issued upon the merits of the individual applying. The B-1 allows an individual to incorporate in the U.S., acquire property, sign contracts, etc. It precludes the individual from directly managing any U.S. business or in any way receiving wages from a U.S. source, even if self-owned.

The B-1 tourist for business category is intended for business people coming to the U.S. to engage activities of a professional, business, or commercial nature, relating to their foreign business. A B-1 tourist for business cannot be paid from a U.S. source, other than incidental living or travel expenses. B-1 visitors cannot do any local employment.

B-2: Tourists for pleasure are the most common visas used by persons coming to the U.S. People with this classification of visa are usually admitted for a period of up to six months and may apply for extensions. However, the maximum limitation of stay for this visa category is one year.

When the tourist enters the U.S., a white piece of paper is stapled into the passport. This document is called an I-94. The date on the I-94 is what controls the period you are allowed to stay in the U.S., not the visa stamp obtained at the consulate. The visa stamp obtained at the consulate tells you what is the last day you may enter the U.S. with the visa. The date on the I-94 tells you how long you are authorized to stay in the U.S.

Before you are issued a tourist visa for pleasure you must satisfy the American consulate and the immigration official at the border that you are coming to the U.S. for a temporary visit for pleasure and that you have an un-abandoned foreign residence which you intend to return to at the end of the trip. A tourist for pleasure cannot be employed in the U.S.

C Visa

A C Visa is used for a person who is merely stopping in the U.S. to continue their trip or persons in transit to and from the United Nations Headquarters district and foreign countries under a special agreement.

D Visa

Crew member (sea or air).

E Visa

The E-1 and E-2 Visas do not have to retain a permanent residence abroad. There is also no limit on the duration of their stay as long as they maintain their status. The American consulate generally grants these visas for multiple periods of five years. Additionally, employment by family members is not viewed as a violation of status.

E-1 Treaty traders: Only nationals of countries having a “treaty of commerce and navigations” providing for nonimmigrant entries in existence between the U.S. and the foreign country qualify. The treaty trader category is available to individuals from nations which have signed a treaty of trade and commerce with the U.S. The treaty trader visa is available for an unlimited number of years and allows the spouse and minor dependents of the recipient to live and attend school in the U.S.

While many large corporations involved in import/export utilize the category, it is most frequently used by small to mid-sized companies seeking a permanent trading presence in the U.S.

E-2 Treaty investors: Like the E-1, the E-2 treaty investor allows a foreign individual or corporation to invest actively in a U.S. business and remain in the U.S. while operating and managing it. Like the E-1, it has no limit on the number of years and does not require an un-abandoned foreign residence. The treaty investor visa is not limited to any particular type of business and it can include restaurants, manufacturing and virtually any other type of activity permissible by law.

F Visa

F-1 Student Visas are used for students to study at authorized institutions from elementary school to post doctoral studies. As long as the student maintains his/her status, he/she can stay in the U.S.

G Visa

G-1 Visas:

  1. Principal resident representative, family and staff.
  2. Foreign government has de jure recognition.
  3. International organization listed (e.g., IMF, UN, OAS, OAU).
  4. Only subject to certain security grounds of inadmissibility.
  5. G-1 to G-4 duration of status so long as U.S. Department of State recognizes credentials.

G-2 Visas:

  1. Other accredited representatives and immediate family.
  2. Personnel of any rank or temporary delegation.

G-3 Visas:

  1. G-1/G-2 from government without de jure recognition from U.S.
  2. Nonmember country of international organization.

G-4 Visas:

  1. Officers and employees of international organization and immediate family.
  2. Special expeditious treatment to UN reps. Because U.S. host country.
  3. Sons and daughters, widows and retirees in G-4 status can be special immigrants.

G-5 Visas:

Attendants, servants, and personal employees of G-1 to G-4s.

Employment is generally not available but may be authorized for certain G categories.

H Visa

H-1(b): A member of a specialty occupation. The individual must have obtained, through education and/or experience, the equivalent of at least a Baccalaureate Degree in a specific discipline. Additionally, the job offered in the U.S. must reasonably require such a Baccalaureate Degree to perform the job duties.

Graphic designers, etc.

H-1(c): Foreign born registered nurse.

H-2(b): Temporary employment based on an offer for a temporary position. Approval is conditioned on evidence that the job is temporary and that there are no willing, able, or qualified U.S. workers for the position. A labor certification must be obtained from the U.S. Department of Labor. Approval is only for one year, with maximum extensions for 3 years.

H-3: For training in a field that is not available in the applicant’s home country. Applicant obtains work authorization after approval and entry into the U.S. Period of approval depends on the nature of the proposed training, but no longer than 2 years total.

I Visa

An I Visa is available for an alien who is a proper representative of foreign press, film, or other information media, who seeks to enter the U.S. solely to engage in such vocation and the spouse and minor children of such representative.

J Visa

A J Visa is an Exchange Visitor’s visa under a special program enacted in 1961. The aim of the program is to foster international relations by bringing exchange visitors into the United States, under certain approved programs, to acquire skills that can then be utilized in their home country.

Certain J Visa holders are subject to a 2-year foreign residency requirement before they are allowed to change to another non-immigrant visa or to make an application for permanent residency.

The IAP-66 is the form that will tell you (on the lower left corner) whether or not you are subject to the 2-year foreign residency requirement. Under limited circumstances, a person subject to that requirement may be able to obtain a waiver to stay legally in the U.S.

K Visa

K-1: A foreign national engaged to marry a U.S. citizen and has met the U.S. citizen within the 2 years prior to the filing of the application. They must marry within 90 days of the foreign national’s arrival in the U.S. This person may only adjust status through marriage to the person who filed for the K-1 visa.

K-3 & K-4: A new non-immigrant category that allows the spouse or child of a U.S. citizen to be admitted to the U.S. in a non-immigrant category. It allows them to process the permanent residence while in the U.S. and to obtain work authorization during the processing of their case.

L Visa

L-1: The “Intra-company Transferee” category is available to individuals who either own or are employees of a foreign corporation in which they have worked for at least one of the prior three years, in an executive, managerial, or specialized knowledge capacity.

The employer must be a U.S. corporation related directly, in any one of a variety of ways, to the foreign company.

The L-1 Visa carries a maximum approval of seven years, but is perhaps the most direct conduit to permanent residency in the U.S.

M Visa

A vocational (non-academic) student or his/her spouse or child.

N Visa

The N Visa is issued to parents and children of G-4 Visa holders employed by NATO, accorded special immigrant status under INA Section 101(a)(27)(I) if the child is given a visa during the time he/she is under 21 years of age.

O Visa

The O Visa is set aside for aliens of “extraordinary” ability in the sciences, arts, education, business or athletics, certain aliens accompanying or assisting those aliens, and their family members.

The person seeking issuance of an O Visa must have reached the top of the profession or endeavor for which the alien seeks admittance into the U.S.

The O Visa is obtainable for three years and thereafter is renewable in 1-year increments. An employer must petition for this person, and the employer must obtain a no objection letter from a peer group, labor union or management organization relative to the profession and job offer.

P Visa

The P Visa covers those entertainers and athletes who cannot qualify under the extraordinary ability standard of the O Visa. It covers alien athletes who compete individually or as part of a team at an internationally recognized level, and aliens who perform with, or are an integral and essential part of, the performance of an entertainment group that has received international recognition as “outstanding” for a “sustained and substantial period of time.”

P-1: Internationally recognized athlete or member of internationally recognized entertainment group.

P-2: Artist or entertainer in a reciprocal exchange program.

P-3: Artist or entertainer in a culturally unique program.

Q Visa

A visa for peace process cultural and training (cultural international exchange program).

R Visa

A visa for a religious worker: ministers of religion, professional workers in religious vocation and occupations, and other workers in religious occupations or vocations employed by religious nonprofit organizations in the U.S.

R Visa holders may be admitted for a temporary period of time of three years, and in total not to exceed five years. The applicant must have been a member of the religious organization for a period of 2 years prior to the application. After working for 2 years for the religious organization, an applicant can apply for permanent residency under the “special immigrant religious” category.

S Visa

An S Visa is for a cooperating witness or informant in a criminal investigation.

T Visa

A T Visa is for victims of trafficking in individual.


Professionals under the North American Free Trade Agreement (Mexico and Canada only) may work in a professional occupation in a NAFTA country provided that:

  1. The profession is on the NAFTA list.
  2. The alien possesses the specific criteria for that profession.
  3. The prospective position requires someone in that professional capacity.
  4. The alien is going to work for a U.S. employer.

The spouse and unmarried minor children of the principal alien are entitled to the derivative status, but they are unable to accept employment in the U.S.


Transit without visa.

V Visa

A V Visa allows the spouse or child of a U.S. lawful permanent resident to live and work in the U.S. with a non-immigrant Visa. They can wait in the U.S. until they are able to apply for lawful permanent residence status or for an immigrant visa, instead of having to wait outside the U.S., as the law previously required.

Extension of Stay in the United States

A foreign national may apply for an extension of a temporary stay provided certain requirements are met.

Change in Non-Immigrant Status

Changes in status may be granted provided the alien is eligible and has not violated any immigration laws.

Consular Processing

The process of obtaining a non-immigrant or immigrant visa from outside the United States.

To speak with an experienced Immigration attorney immediately, call us toll free at 1–800–923–3456 or contact us online to discuss your legal matter today.


  • captcha
My case is still a work in progress. I will say that my Lawyer here has done more for me pre court than I had expected. If you need a lawyer for anything you can find someone here to help you.
, Oct 26, 2017
Great practice they always get the job done for a reasonable price.
, Feb 3, 2017
Son buenos los mejores abogados buen equipo en general
, Jul 7, 2017
Extraordinary, very satisfied
, Oct 11, 2016
Los mejores
, Jul 7, 2017
Excellent service would recommend to others
, Feb 7, 2017
Yous are the best of the best thank you for your service
, Sep 12, 2015
Very good i will recommend your services to other people
, Mar 2, 2017
Excellent highly recommended
, May 25, 2016
The best lawyers and Their excellent assistants
, Jun 14, 2016
I was happy with your service and professionalism with handling my case. I was treated with respect and always told the truth and not half of a story or what I wanted to hear. My team was awesome thank you
, Jul 14, 2017
I would like to say thank you to ALL at Garces, Grabler, & Lebrocq. I believe all work with great integrity. The patience and effectiveness really shows in my life. From car accident to divorce. Purchasing home. Even with help making my dreams come true and starting my own business. I appreciate ALL. Definitely know I will always be in good hands. Thanks!!!
, Oct 20, 2017
Muy buen servicio al cliente y buenos abogados
, Jul 27, 2016
Anna is the best lawyer I ever had the pleasure to hander my case, very knowledgeable in workers comp law, I would recommend to anyone.
, Jul 10, 2017
Great service,would recommend to anybody!
, Jul 10, 2017
Mr. Lebroq is an excellent Attorney. The office staff has always been prompt , respectful and helpful. I highly recommend this firm.
, Oct 10, 2015
Son exelentes abogados muy honestos y muy responsables con sus clientes y sobretodo muy amables poreso yo tengo mucha confianza en ellos y. Poreso los he recomendado ampliamente con otras personas
, Oct 22, 2017
Robert White III, Esq. was professional and efficient in every step of the process. From dealing with my Worker's Comp insurance to making sure I got the best care with a skilled neurosurgeon and making sure my case was handled fairly by a judge and the court system. I would definitely recommend Garces, Grabler and LeBrocq for anyone who was in need of representation for such matters.
, Mar 28, 2017
Thank you for your help and good job
, Oct 17, 2017
Estuvo bien gracias muchas gracias
, Jul 12, 2017
Very good
, May 21, 2016
Great attorney , Pat Vella . Got all points dropped from my record . I owe this man 100xs over ! Thank you !
, Oct 21, 2016
I had the good fortune of Mr. Pasquale Vella representing in a matter that I had deemed a bleak one, with no positive outcome in sight. Vella assured me that he would work hard to get me the best results possible, and that is exactly what he did. He worked tirelessly making sure he covered all possible angles, and in the end I was extremely pleased with his services. Vella proved to be diligent, aggressive in yielding results, and very professional, all while maintaining a communicative yet good natured rapport with me as his client. I would most certainly use his services again in the future as well as highly recommend him to anyone in need of a great criminal defense attorney.
, Nov 9, 2016
Increíbly Professional and dedicated peple to the service of the Law. William Garces has to be One of the Nicest most professional lawyers I ever come across...I know not a lot of people trust lawyers but This firm will treat you with such consideration and dedication that You forget you are a Client. I would recommend this Firm to every Person I know .
, Mar 1, 2017
very satisfied with the outcome. You did a very good job
, Dec 26, 2016
Los mejores abogados gran equipo
, Jul 7, 2017
Great lawyers great service highly recommended
, Dec 29, 2017
Very satisfied! Exceptional service! Highly recommend!
, Jun 14, 2016
Johnathan Kessous did a fantastic job handling my case. I hope i never need his expertise again...but if I do, he would be my first choice for legal representation. I had gotten a speeding ticket on the NJTPK going 84 in a 55 which resulted in a state trooper issuing me a 5 point ticket. Johnathan got it reduced down to zero points... just a fine.
, Oct 4, 2017
Se los recomiendo muy buen abogado y lucha asta conseguir lo mejor para el cliente
, May 26, 2016
They were very effective in getting my ticket and fines knocked down to lesser offence. I appreciate all their help.
, Jul 15, 2017
Great expletive with Esq Arindo. He is practical, honest, and thorough. I really appreciate his help.
, Jun 16, 2016
They have done great work for me and my family.
, Oct 9, 2016
Very happy with the services provided - was dealing with Arlindo and his assistant Gisela. My case was dealt with in a timely manner, with no errors, and all advice was spot on. Will definitely use them again in the future.
, Apr 3, 2017
I would highly recommend this law firm to anyone. The service was epicable. Very thorough, efficient and friendly. It was a pleasure having you represent me.
, Jul 8, 2017
El mejor abogado muy eficaz
, Jan 26, 2017
Jonathan A Kessous did an outstanding job in handling my case. He was able to get the most serious charge and several other charges against me dropped and my fine greatly reduced. I was most impressed with his professionalism.competence and the timely manner in which he responded to all my questions and concerns. This demonstrated to me that I was a priority and not just a client!
, Jun 13, 2016
The representation this firm did to me was above and beyond what I expected to receive. Especially Mr. Grabler who was extremely professionals. I was very proud to have him as my lawyer. For this reason I recommend this firm to everybody.
, Jul 19, 2016
The best In Plainfield, Thanks Garces+Grabler+Lebrocq for your help! Beating my case and my wife case.
, Jun 15, 2016
I would highly recommend these attorneys to all my friends and family!!! Best of the Best!!!!
, Mar 2, 2016
Great people they do help thank you for everything you've done
, Jul 18, 2017
I would like to say thank you for all your help you've giving me.
, May 24, 2016
Very satisfied withow my case was handled
, Oct 17, 2016
I was very pleased with the service from your firm, especially my attorney Allen, he always returned mu calls and was very courteous.
, Jul 18, 2017
Lawrence and his team are A+++ when it comes to all aspects of law.
, Jun 17, 2016
My uncle had some problems with meals at a Monmouth Count assisted living home. The home charged over $5,000 per month and he was not being offered food that he liked on many occasions and his complaints did not resolve the issue. I called Garces & Grabler on his behalf and they sent an attorney to the home to first speak with my uncle, then speak with the director. Within a few day, his dietary needs were met. Everything was resolved amicably and the law firm charged, in my opinion, a very reasonable fee for their services.
, Jul 12, 2016
Buenos profesionales, completamente satisfecho con sus servicios
, Jul 11, 2017
Thank you, for your help throughout this difficult time. It’s been a pleasure working with you guys. Highly recommended
, Jan 6, 2018
, Jan 5, 2017
My lawyer was great Mr White and Anita was very helpful returned calls and let me know every step of the way
, Nov 7, 2017
Jonathan was brilliant!!! He is an expert in the field of DUI's. He is patient, well prepared and first and foremost he was concerned for the well-being of me and my family... Thanks so much for your representation!!!!
, Jun 29, 2016
Good job
, Jun 15, 2016
Great mr. Allen g. Still rolling out of bed. Thx.
, Mar 19, 2018
Thank you Mr. Lawrence LeBrocq, I have no words for the amount of appreciation I have for what you've just done.
, May 9, 2017
Estoy feliz por el trabajo que hisieron, gracias por todo.
, Oct 5, 2017
Staff was very helpful and explained the case as it went along.
, Jul 21, 2016
Buenos profesionales, excelente trabajo....
, Jul 10, 2017
Outstanding service very professional attorneys thumbs up all the way
, Feb 4, 2017
Compassion and professional
, Oct 27, 2017
Perfect !!!!!!
, Oct 7, 2016
thank you guys for representing me!
, Jun 17, 2016
Very professional and know what they're doing which is hard to find nowadays. Arlindo Araujo was very clear, precise, and on point!!!
, Jul 20, 2016
Very professional and timely precised on the whole process on my case. My whole process went as lawyer Arlindo explained it to me and no delays whatsoever!!!
, Jul 20, 2016
Excellent service. Very respected law firm. Will use again and definitely recommend
, Oct 12, 2016
My lawyer Pat was very efficient on my case and I definitely give GGL 5 stars
, Oct 23, 2016
Great personal service from your staff!
, Feb 28, 2018
I was represented by Mr.Araujo from this firm in a disciplinary job hearing. Mr. Araujo was very professional and prepare my case very well and I was able to return to my job a few days after the hearing.
, Oct 5, 2017
Hi, it was a very good experience !! I appreciate all the things the Lawyer did for me, he won the case, thank you so much again, I am 100% satisfied!
, Mar 29, 2017
MaryanN and Jasmine both very helpful and professional. Jonathan Kessous very professional. Would recommend the firm.
, Aug 5, 2016
I found my attorney, Mr. Kessous, to be highly professional, knowledgeable, friendly and effective. He was highly responsive to my questions and concerns and easy to work with, and achieved the desired settlement for me in regard to my traffic ticket. If I were in the same situation all over again, I would choose to work with him without hesitation, and expect that if I were to face a similar situation in the foreseeable future, I would contact him. I would also provide his name with the highest recommendation to others in the area for such problems. (I also found his assistant, Gabriela Vargas, to be quite responsive and helpful as well.) Thanks again for all of your help!
, Jan 25, 2017
They were very helpful and address any questions I had about my case.Great team, very happy overall
, Nov 22, 2017
Sarita Núñez vas very efficient. She did everything she could to have the case resolved
, Mar 2, 2017
Felt very well taken care of. Excellent!!!!!
, Jul 19, 2016
Very professional I'm very happy with their service.
, Aug 29, 2017
Buen trabajo. Muchas gracias.
, Oct 23, 2016
G.G.L... Are the best in the business...
, Jan 26, 2017
Very professional group I'm really satisfy with service provided
, Feb 19, 2018
Gracias x hacer todo lo posible dios los bendiga
, Aug 3, 2016
Thanks for everything my life change Good bless thanks
, Jul 21, 2016
A well-prepared staff who handled everything we asked. Made us feel welcome and handled everything professionally.
, Jun 13, 2016
Muy bueno y excelente
, May 21, 2016
Professional, smart and most importantly, effective. Great attorneys that help in every aspect of the legal process. The office staff was always very helpful and polite, while the legal professionals were direct and extremely efficient. I highly recommend this office to anyone seeking advice or council.
, Feb 16, 2016
You guys are number 1 for me! always have an answer to help people
, Dec 21, 2017
The Lawyers were very friendly and knowledgeable. If I need a lawyer in the future, they would my go to attorneys.
, Jun 13, 2016
Far exceeded my expectations. Mr. Vella was confident and professional. Should I require legal assistance in the future I won't hesitate to call them.
, Oct 21, 2016
The best!!!
, Jul 6, 2017
Muchas gracias. Exelente abogado yo se lo recomiendo alas personas por ser muy buen abogado
, Jul 8, 2017
Todo muy bien
, Jul 21, 2016
I love when a team gets together and get the job done with out me calling to see how everything moving along. I will always recommend this firm to anyone . Go team
, Oct 20, 2017
Tuve una buena experiensia confien son los mejore.yo tube dos caso y sali muy bien gracias a ellos
, May 7, 2016
Knowledgeable, helpful, and friendly guy. Thanks for the service!
, Jun 13, 2016
, Aug 3, 2016
Estoi satifecha por supervisio grasia a
, May 16, 2016
Less then a year the lawyer from GGL resolved my case ,,, it is the second time they help me !!!
, Sep 28, 2017
Thank you very much for all your help and great service!
, Mar 22, 2017
I was satisfied, and the service was very good, my lawyer was very professional and did a great job.
, Feb 3, 2017
Bill Grabler handled several comp case's for me including permanent worker's comp. He did a fantastic job.
, Jul 21, 2016
, May 23, 2016
I can honestly state that JONATHAN is an excellant negotiator and timely attorney, whom prepares you for the worst and gets you the best.
, Jun 12, 2017
La atención muy eficaz son muy profesional me sentí muy sastifecho gracias
, Jul 5, 2017