New Jersey Sexual Assault Attorney
MAN ACCUSED OF SEXUALLY ASSAULTING A 6 -YEAR-OLD GIRL AWAITS NEW TRIAL DATE
Elmer Lorenzana is awaiting his second trial on charges of sexually assaulting a 6-year-old girl, after the disruption from Hurricane Sandy led to a mistrial last year, according to NJ.com.
NJ.com reports that according to court documents, Elmer Lorenzana, 42, has been accused of touching the girl inappropriately on two occasions between November 1, 2010, and April 1, 2011.
Jury selection was to start today but had to be delayed due to other alleged issues of domestic violence involving the girl’s mother and another man, according to NJ.com
NJ.com reports last year’s trial had to be stopped because of Hurricane Sandy’s impact, according to an April 4th letter from the Somerset County Prosecutor’s Office to Superior Court Judge Julia Marino.
It is stated in the letter that on November 7th a mistrial was declared, according to NJ.com
NJ.com states that Jonathan Kessous, an attorney with Garces, Grabler and LeBrocq, said “It was really chaotic,” talking about the impact of the storm.
Lorenzana remains in custody in the Somerset County jail on charges of aggravated sexual assault, sexual assault, and endangering the welfare of a child. He is being held in lieu of $150,000 bail, according to NJ.com
NJ.com reports Kessous said the allegations are “completely false” and stated that he has “full faith that at the end of the day, we will get…a full acquittal.” According to NJ.com, Kessous said Lorenzana is “eagerly awaiting his day in court.”